Managing External Competitions
Things to bear in mind when involved in organising external recruitment exercises
- Plan ahead – good planning saves re-working later
- Have the right permissions arranged to go to external competition before advertising
- Give yourself enough time for each of the stages
- Think about record-keeping from the start
- Consider your criteria carefully: essential skills versus desirable skills
- Consider the impact of the criteria:
- Make the criteria “sell” the job, attraction and selection are both important in establishing merit
- who are you excluding and why?
- Be honest about your process in the advert
- Set standards before each sift stage.
- In volume exercises with multiple panels, check results afterwards (eg random checks; comparisons between independent sifts)
- At the end of the process there should be one merit list and successful candidates should be appointed in merit order.
- Contact the Commission, and seek our advice, if you are unsure about any aspect of running an external recruitment process.