Civil Service Commission

Departmental Compliance

Every year, the Commission makes an assessment of the extent to which Departments are complying with the Recruitment Principles (the document that interprets the legal requirement to select people for appointment to the Civil Service on merit, following a fair and open competition).  As well as fulfilling the Commission’s legal duty, the compliance monitoring work enables the Commission to pick up systemic developments in recruitment practice across the Civil Service, to note, identify and spread good practice and mitigate risks of future non-compliance.

We make our assessment on the basis of information collected from Departments about their recruitment in the previous year and about the systems they have in place  to support future recruitment.  In some cases we visit Departments to get a more detailed picture of their recruitment; in others; the data supplied by the Department is enough for us to reach an assessment.  Since 1995, the data collection and much of the analysis for this compliance monitoring work has been contracted out, most recently (since April 2013) to KPMG.

We use four risk ratings to assess Departments: green, amber/green, amber/red and red.

In 2016, 40 Departments (representing approximately 18% of total Civil Service recruitment) were assessed as either “green” or “amber-green”.  However, the remaining 33 (representing 82% of total recruitment) was assessed as “red ” or “amber-red”.  The Commission is concerned at the the high proportion of recruitment being done in high-risk Departments.  We are following up on these results with the high-risk Departments.

Indicative ratings of Departments alphabetically can be seen here

Indicative ratings of Departments in order of risk assessment can be seen here

Archived ratings are available here